Last week in Sebastian, there was a minor fish kill because of the warmer water temperature. This kind of event has happened before and it probably won’t be the last. Thankfully, things got better in the Indian River Lagoon following the tide cycle.
When we talked with anglers in Sebastian, they jokingly said the fish kill was “free bait” because that didn’t stop the fishing at the Sebastian Inlet. It’s been one of the warmest summers we’ve had in about a decade. The recent event didn’t even come close to the large fish kills we experienced due to Red Tide in 2018.
The weather will continue to be hot all along Florida’s east coast, with temperatures around 94 degrees every day, until the end of the week. On Monday, there was a Heat Advisory for a large part of Florida’s east coast.
Here are the high and low temperatures for the week:
- Monday: 93/78
- Tuesday: 94/77
- Wednesday: 94/77
- Thursday: 94/78
- Friday: 91/76
- Saturday: 91/76
- Sunday: 91/76
There’s a 40 percent chance of afternoon rain and thunderstorms, increasing to 60 percent on Sunday. The winds will change direction from the south to the east on Friday at 5 to 10 mph.
If you plan to go boating, the seas will be calm, only 2 feet high, and the Intracoastal Waterway will have a light chop all week.
As for the tropics, things are calm in the Atlantic, and no cyclones are expected in the next 48 hours. But weather experts are concerned about the warm waters that can add fuel to pending storms.
Luckily, the 2023 Hurricane Season has been kind to Florida so far, with most of the activity staying offshore. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has predicted that there will be 12 to 17 named storms this year, and 1 to 4 might become major hurricanes. NOAA is 70% confident in this prediction.
Being outside during a heat advisory can lead to heat exhaustion or, even more, a heat stroke. The illness occurs when the body gets too hot, a person starts to sweat a lot, and a rapid heartbeat follows.
Hot weather can make people sick, especially if there’s a lot of humidity while doing physical activity. If you don’t treat heat exhaustion fast, it can turn into heatstroke, which is very dangerous.
Some signs of heat exhaustion include “goose bumps,” heavy sweating, faint or dizziness, fast heartbeat, low blood pressure, muscle cramps, nausea, or a headache.