On Thursday, May 5, 2022, the Sebastian Police Department had a graduation ceremony for its 2022 Citizens Police Academy graduates. The graduates spent the previous 12 weeks learning all about the interworkings of the Police Department.
I had the pleasure of attending this 12-week program, and I highly recommend it to our local citizens. The Sebastian Police Department does an excellent job of keeping our community safe and building relationships with its citizens to ensure a bright future ahead for Sebastian.
We learned about crime analysis, road patrol procedures, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Department of Homeland Security, the K-9 unit, the special response team (SRT), crime scene, evidence handling, criminal investigations, narcotics, Community Oriented Policing Endeavor (COPE Unit), and much more.
Fellow Graduate Rich Drescher couldn’t say enough about how impressed he was with the Citizens Academy.
“I can’t overstate how impressed I was with the Citizens’ Police Academy! The genuine enthusiasm of everyone involved in providing the presentations and demonstrations was infectious and kept the class fully engaged. Having a better understanding of the full scope of responsibilities and activities of the Sebastian Police Department reinforced my admiration for the incredible service these professionals provide our community on a daily basis,” Drescher told Sebastian Daily.
- Nicole Albano
- Jeff Beaumont
- Joseph Carotenuto
- Abra Carotenuto
- Richard Drescher
- Thais Fox
- Hunter Garrett Sr.
- Tina Gregory-Hodges
- Emma Hillyer
- Charles Hiltz
- Veronica Houghton
- Eric Junker
- Andrew Martin
- Richard Paff
- Beth Taylor
A special thank you to Sergeant Todd Finegan, who led the program, and everyone else who took the time to give us a better understanding of their departments:
- Chief Daniel Acosta
- Captain Timothy Wood – Command Staff
- Brittany Lutz – Crime Analysis
- Sergeant Jeff Bruckner – Road Patrol
- The Task Force Agent – FBI
- Agent Daniel Ruiz – Dept of Homeland Security
- Detective Marc Maison – Criminal Investigations
- CSI Supervisor Colleen Bruckner – Crime Scene & Evidence
- IRC Sheriff Staff
- Judge Stone
- Assistant State Attorney Bill Long
- Roxanne Huben – Dispatch (911 Communications Center)
- Debbie McGruder – Records Management
- Officer Rich Lachini – Code Enforcement
- Janickie Smith – Alarm Permits
- Rick Vidiri – Treasure Coast Crime Stoppers
- Bob McPartlan – Department of Children & Families (DCF)
- Officer Mike Brandes – Traffic Enforcement & Laws
- Volunteer Captain Pieter Ketelaar – Community Volunteers
- Corporal Ritchie Revis – K9 Unit
- Sergeant Roy Cole – Special Response Team S.R.T.
- A Detective – Special Investigations Unit (SIU)
- The Special Agent – Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Sergeant Todd Finnegan & Officer Donald Hart – Community Oriented Policing Endeavor Unit (COPE)
- Corporal Shawn Daley – School Resource Unit
Also, thank you to “The Marketplace Fudge & More,” for donating a fudge tray and our local “Papa John’s Pizza” for donating pizzas.
Costs & Rewards
There is no cost to attend the Citizens Police Academy. Upon completion, members will be awarded a “Certificate of Graduation.”
Contact our COPE Unit at 772 589-5233 ext. 8550 or via email for more information.