Goodwill Sebastian Store Evacuated for Carbon Monoxide

The Goodwill store in Sebastian was evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected.
The Goodwill store in Sebastian was evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected. (Photo: Andy Hodges)

SEBASTIAN – The Indian River County Sheriff’s received a call Saturday morning from the Goodwill Sebastian store about a toxic odor that smelled like an exhaust from a gasoline engine.

At 9:27 a.m., Goodwill employees and customers were evacuated from the building. Part of the plaza was also shut down during the incident.

“The fire department evacuated the building due to a heavy odor of carbon monoxide. It appears workers on the roof had a generator running,” Major Eric Flowers told Sebastian Daily.

While at the store, the fire department noticed workers on the roof running a generator.

The toxic odors and carbon monoxide was entering the Goodwill Store through vents from the roof.

The source of the problem was resolved and the store was reopened by 11:00 a.m.

There were no injuries during this incident.

Signup for the free Sebastian Daily newsletter for your chance to win free dinners and merchandise!

Copyright 2020 SebastianDaily.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

mm
About Andy Hodges
Andy Hodges was born in Annapolis, Maryland and raised in Jupiter, Florida. Andy has been a radio & TV personality since the 1980s. He has worked for WLIZ, WFLX-FOX 29, WIRK, WIXI, WKSY, WRMF, and WJNO to name a few. After spending 7 years in Atlanta, Georgia during the 1990s, Andy returned to Florida and settled in the small town of Sebastian in 2000. In 2005, he returned to the broadcasting news sector and eventually joined our news team in 2016 as editor in chief. Andy's family has lived in Sebastian for more than 45 years.