SEBASTIAN – The 2nd Annual Sebastian Lionfish Festival will be on May 19th through May 21st at Captain Hiram’s Resort & Marina.
Last year’s inaugural event was a great success with an estimated 1,800 lionfish removed and over 400 attendees piling into Hiram’s Sandbar to enjoy the fishing tournament, educational vendors, and cook-off.
Presented by Indian River County, Florida Fish & Wildlife, and Capt Hiram’s Resort, this 3-day event is designed to spread awareness and protect our coastal ecosystems against this harmful and invasive species, educate the community on the impacts of lionfish, and introduce the idea of turning them into a popular dinner item.
May 19th (Capt Meeting), 20th & 21st – Fishing Tournament
Teams of 1-4 Anglers may register for $125 and compete to harvest the most fish, smallest fish, and largest fish. $3000 in Cash prizes will be awarded! Participants in the fishing tournament are also eligible for up to four discounted tickets to the cook-off.
May 21st Education & Cook-Off
– Learn about the ways invasive lionfish are impacting local waters, what you can do to protect coastal habitats, and how you can get involved! There will be educational exhibitors onsite including Florida Fish and Wildlife, Team Frapper, Indian River County Stormwater, DEP Aquatic Preserve, Indian River County Recycling, FIT, Keep Indian River Beautiful, and others.
The Cook-Off portion of the event will feature 8 local restaurants preparing Lionfish in various fashions. Attendees will be given the opportunity to taste Lionfish and vote for the winner by picking their favorite dish!
Participating restaurants in the Sebastian Lionfish Fest include:
- Blackfins Riverfront Grill – Blackened Lionfish Nachos
- The Chubby Mullett – Smoked Lionfish
- The Old Fish House – Lionfish Chowder
- Costa D’Este – Blackened Lionfish with Mango Habanero Salsa
- Blue Star Brasserie – Lionfish Ceviche
- Cobalt – Pan Seared Lionfish with Veggies and Miso Butter Sauce
- Chelsea’s Bistro – Lionfish Oscar Style
- Yellow Dog Café – Onion Crusted Lionfish with a Caramel Citrus Glaze
Tickets for the Cook-Off are available online for $12/per person and will be available the day of the event for $15/per person. Get your tickets in advance before the sellout!
For full event details and to register for the tournament, sign up to be a vendor or purchase tickets for the cook-off, visit www.SebastianLionfishFest.com
Sponsorship opportunities for the Sebastian Lionfish Festival are available from $250 to $5,000.
Newsletter: Make sure you signup for the Sebastian Daily Newsletter to stay informed with everything going on in Sebastian, Florida.