On Sunday afternoon, Indian River County Deputies responded to a call about a house fire in the 5800 block of 59th Drive in Vero Beach.
When Deputies Kachele, Hartmann, and Robbins entered the burning home, they realized two dogs were inside, one of which was in a crate.
Both dogs made it out safely thanks to the deputies’ quick thinking and actions.
Indian River County Fire Rescue extinguished the fire. The American Red Cross was contacted on behalf of the residents, and the Fire Marshal was called to investigate.
No further details are available at this time.
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
- Choose holiday decorations that are flame retardant or flame resistant.
- It is important to keep lit candles away from things that can burn, such as decorations.
- Ensure indoor lights are kept indoors, and outdoor lights are outdoors; some are not meant to be both.
- Make sure you replace worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections on your strings of lights.
- Pay attention to manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands it is safe to connect.
- Always keep decorations away from windows and doors.