SEBASTIAN – Florida Health in Indian River County advises that residents get the flu vaccination as activity increases. Influenza is increasing in our community and across the state.
“With the 2018-2019 flu season in full swing, it is important that all Floridians get the flu vaccine to protect against infection and help prevent the spread of seasonal flu to others. It is never too late to get your flu shot. While most cases of flu are mild, there are exceptions,” stated Florida Health in Indian River County.
Children, women who are pregnant, people over the age of 65, and people with underlying chronic conditions are at high risk for severe illness.
The department feels that it is important for Indian River County residents, especially high-risk individuals for severe illness to get vaccinated against influenza.
“By getting a flu shot and practicing good hand washing techniques, we can help prevent the spread of the flu,” said Miranda Hawker, Florida Department of Health in Indian River County Administrator. “Everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated, even if they got the flu shot last season.”
According to Florida Health, it takes roughly two weeks for your body to develop protection against the flu after getting the vaccination.
- Body & Muscle Aches and Pains
- Fatigue that may last up to 2-3 weeks
- High Fever
- Stuffy or Runny Nose
- Sore Throat
- Sometimes vomiting and diarrhea (more common with children than adults)
Practice these things daily to prevent the spread of Influenza:
- Get vaccinated
- Clean and disinfect the commonly used surfaces in your office, home, or school
- Frequently wash your hands often with soap and hot water
- When water is not available use alcohol hand sanitizers
- Cough and Sneeze into a tissue or your elbow
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Avoid those who are sick
- Prevent getting other sick by staying home when you are ill
For more information regarding influenza, visit the Florida Health Influenza page.
Signup for the free Sebastian Daily newsletter for your chance to win free dinners and merchandise!
Copyright 2019 SebastianDaily.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.