Beaches in Indian River County received considerable damage from two back-to-back storm events. “County beaches were hit hard,” said Michael Zito, Interim County Administrator. “Impacts were substantial and include structural damage, dune erosion, and significant beach loss.”
County staff must manage around multiple constraints. Sea Turtles are federally listed as threatened and endangered, and nesting season begins on March 1st. Therefore, any restoration efforts must be planned and executed before or after the nesting season.
“There is a window of opportunity to conduct beach and dune renourishment projects now,” said Zito.
Compatible sand will be placed on the dune and the berm, restoring damage caused by Hurricanes Ian and Nicole. Renourishment projects are known to protect infrastructure, provide public access, and provide habitat to nesting sea turtles.
Closures start Monday, January 9th, with the contractor working in succession, so not all beaches impacted will close simultaneously. The County website (ircgov.com) has a calendar notating the project schedule for each beach.
Ambersands Beach Access (12566 North AIA) will be closed January 9th – 13th and January 16th – 17th. Work will also start on Golden Sands Beach Access (10240 North AIA) and Tracking Station Beach Park (800 46th Place, North AIA) on Monday, January 9th, requiring the closure of those beaches. Closure dates for the remaining beach parks will be determined once work is underway and progressing.
Citizens are asked to refer to the County website, follow Parks & Recreation on social media @IRCREC, or call (722) 226-1872 for more information.
County Beach Access Parks and Locations:
- Ambersands Beach Access, 12566 North AIA (closure January 9th – 13th and 16th – 17th)
- Golden Sands Beach Park, 10240 North AIA (closed beginning January 9th)
- Round Island Oceanside Park, 2200 South AIA (no closures)
- Seagrape Trail Beach Access, 8302 North AIA (closures expected)
- Tracking Station Beach Park, 800 46th Place, North AIA (closed beginning January 9th )
- Treasure Shores Beach Park, 11300 Nort AIA (no closure expected)
- Turtle Trail Beach Access, 8102 North AIA (closures expected)
- Wabasso Beach Park, 1820 CR 510 and AIA (closures expected)