Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 56 will offer a Boating Safety Training course and exam in Sebastian. Those who pass the exam are awarded certificates and will receive a Florida State Boater’s ID card.
The course will be held at American Legion Post 189, located at 807 Louisiana Avenue, in Sebastian. It’s scheduled for Saturday, April 15, 2023, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You must pre-register by calling Tom McCarty at 401-523-2925 or emailing Tgm.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cost is $20 first family member and $10 for each additional member. The course is free to high school-age students.
Learn From the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary:
- Know your boat – parts of the boat and terminology.
- Before you get underway- know before you go, float plans, fueling, trailering, launching, and retrieving.
- Navigating the waterways- navigation rules, night navigation & lights, navigation aids, anchoring, locks & dams.
- Operating your vessel safely- Loading, trimming, handling, steering, docking, casting off, anchoring, PWC operations, environmental concerns, and courtesy on the water.
- Legal Requirements – ages to operate, registration, safety, state laws.
- Boating Emergencies, What to do- risk management, boating accidents, personal injuries, weather emergencies, getting help, and helping others.