2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season could be above-normal, NOAA says

NOAA predictions of the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
NOAA predictions of the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

SEBASTIAN – There’s a 30 percent chance that the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season will be near or above-normal, according to NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center.

The news comes as Florida may have its first tropical storm this weekend as Alberto forms in the Gulf of Mexico.

“With the advances made in hardware and computing over the course of the last year, the ability of NOAA scientists to both predict the path of storms and warn Americans who may find themselves in harm’s way is unprecedented,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross.

“The devastating hurricane season of 2017 demonstrated the necessity for prompt and accurate hurricane forecasts.”

While forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, they say there’s a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season.

The Atlantic Hurricane Season extends from June 1 to November 30.

NOAA also said there’s a 70-percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms, of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes, including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5).

The average hurricane season produces 12 names storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.

Historically, we have fewer hurricanes when there’s a lot of rain in May.

Signup for the free Sebastian Daily newsletter for your chance to win free dinners and merchandise!

Copyright 2020 SebastianDaily.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

mm
About Andy Hodges
Andy Hodges was born in Annapolis, Maryland. When he was age 9, his parents moved to Jupiter, Florida. Andy spent several years at various radio & television stations in Florida such as WLIZ, WFLX-FOX 29, WIRK, WIXI, WKSY, WRMF, and WJNO to name a few. In 1994, Andy made a career change to computer programming and worked for several technology companies (two are Fortune 500) in Atlanta, Georgia. However, Andy returned to Florida and settled in the small town of Sebastian in 2002. In 2005, he returned to the broadcasting news sector and eventually joined our news team in 2016 as editor in chief. Andy's family has lived in Sebastian for more than 45 years.