The Sebastian Natural Resource Board, in partnership with Keep Indian River Beautiful and Keep Brevard Beautiful, offers the Litter Quitter program to businesses in Sebastian.
The Litter Quitter program uses partnerships with local businesses to reduce common sources of litter, like single-use plastics, plastic bags, and polystyrene (Styrofoam).
Trained public outreach volunteers hope to convince local restaurants to make one small, cost-effective business practice change to reduce litter. In exchange, they will receive free marketing promotions, networking/education opportunities, and discounts on sustainable products.
3 Level System
Bronze (must meet at least one)
- Switch to a sustainable straw option: metal, paper, or reusable plastic.
- Ask first straw policy.
- Encourage customers to bring their own reusable straws.
Silver (must meet at least one plus one bronze)
- Encourage customers to bring reusable bags.
- Switch plastic bags to paper bags.
- Switch from plastic utensils to a sustainable option: bamboo, corn-based, reusable, etc.
Gold (must meet at least one plus one silver and bronze)
- Switch styrofoam cups to a sustainable option: paper, corn-based, reusable, etc.
- Switch to-go containers to a sustainable alternative: corn-based, paper, recycled plastic, etc.
- Deck netting for waterside businesses
- Encourage customers to bring their own to-go containers.
Benefits for Participating Businesses
- Litter Quitter window sticker notifying potential customers of your sustainability commitment.
- Promotional listings on the websites of program partners and social media spotlights.
- Mentions of your company in press releases to local media outlets and promotion of your company at public outreach events.
- Group pricing discounts on sustainable product lines from our major supply distributors.
- Use of the Litter Quitter logo on restaurant menus and promotional items.
To learn more about the Litter Quitter program or to become a volunteer, email email@example.com.