Exchange Club of Sebastian Honors Local Students with Awards

Exchange Club of Sebastian Awards

The Exchange Club of Sebastian honored local students with a beautiful ceremony at the Capt Hirams Resort Tiffany room on Wednesday, September 16, 2020.

The Young Citizens and Youth of the Month Awards recognize hard-working pre-high school and high school students who attain high scholastic achievement levels, community involvement, leadership, and demonstrates daily good citizenship both at school and at home.

Students recognized by the Exchange Club of Sebastian for September were Mason Medina from Sebastian River Middle School, Jaden Peart from Storm Grove Middle School, Alexandria Simpson from Sebastian Charter Junior High School, and Mia Martinelli and Joseph Twomy from Sebastian River High School.

Mason Medina is a very hard-working student that strives to do his best. He receives all A’s on his report cards and is always prepared, ready to learn, and kind and respectful to others. Mason is an excellent student and role model not only at school but outside of school as well. He and his family participate in many school activities and volunteer their time helping our community.

In accepting his award, Mason said, “I would like to thank all my teachers for helping me learn, my parents for their support, and the Exchange Club of Sebastian for presenting me with this award.”

Jaden Peart is a student who does well academically and is always a respectful and responsible role model. He also participates in Keystone at Vero Beach Boys and Girls Club. Jaden likes to watch and play basketball and was on the Storm Grove team for the last two years.

He plans to go to Vero Beach High School. After high school, he hopes to attend and play basketball for is the University of Syracuse. He wants to become a professional NBA player. In accepting his award, Jaden thanked his teachers, the Exchange Club of Sebastian, his mom, and sister, saying, “I am proud and excited to receive this award.”

Alexandria Simpson is enthusiastic and energetic, and always a leader. She has a great sense of humor, is very athletic, and is headstrong, yet kind and respectful. She is a member of the National Junior Honor Society and a natural leader who is good at debate. Alexandria is kind, considerate, thoughtful, and caring. She wants to become a scientist. In accepting her award, she said, “Thank you so much – I have learned so much at my school about character. Thank you for giving me this chance.”

Mia Martinelli is an IB Diploma Candidate with a weighted GPA of 4.667 and ranked 1st in her class. She is a member of the National Honor Society and an AP Scholar with Honor.

Mia is Safety Certified as Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Level 1 through Embry Riddle Dual Enrollment class. Mia recently received the Legion of Valor Bronze Cross Achievement Award – one of the top awards presented to high school and college ROTC students. She is 1 of 22 nationally to receive this award.

She is the epitome of a student-athlete. She excels in the classroom, in the pool, and as a volunteer within the community. She has been Captain of the Varsity Swim Team and was a District and Regional Champion and State Finalist for the 50 and 100-yard freestyle. She was also Captian of the Water Polo Team and earned Florida Athletic Coaches Association water polo player of the year in grade 10.

Cadet Martinelli does a great job of leading cadets and setting the standard for the SRHS NJROTC unit; she has a tireless work ethic that will lead to success in any environment.

In accepting her award, Mia thanked the Exchange Club of Sebastian, her teachers, and counselors. She hopes to attend one of the four US Service Academies (as her 5 siblings have!), earn her wings and become a military pilot. She said, “It’s nice to slow down and be here this afternoon – thank you again for your hospitality.”

Joseph Twomy is an IB Diploma Candidate with a weighted GPA of 4.67 and tied for the ranking of 1st in his class (competing with Mia for Valedictorian.) He is a member of the National Honor Society and an AP Scholar with Honor.

He qualified for Future Business Leaders of America Nationals. For the Laura Riding Jackson Foundation’s Oral History project Joseph interviewed African Americans from Gifford. The Article “Teens Listen” was published in Vero Beach Magazine Living Legacies. “Joey” is brilliant and unique; he has a knowledge base that is beyond his years. He is extremely friendly, cooperative, and respectful of others.

In accepting his award, Joseph said that he hopes to attend FIT or Harvard and Major in finance and earn his Masters. “Thank you to the Exchange Club for honoring me with this award and thank you to my IB teachers, my parents, for helping me to succeed, and especially Nana.”

Exchange Club of Sebastian

The Exchange Club of Sebastian is a not-for-profit service organization that works to service our community and promote our National project, The Prevention of Child Abuse.

Exit mobile version