Dog Shot In Gifford By IRC Sheriff’s Deputy

Indian River County Sheriff's deputy shoots dog in Gifford. (Photo: Caitlin Davis)

GIFFORD – On Friday, an Indian River County Sheriff’s deputy shot a dog in Gifford while searching for a wanted person.

“The deputy was parked in my yard trying to serve a warrant for someone around the block,” Caitlin Davis told Sebastian Daily.

The dog owner believes the deputy was scared and shot the animal. “My dog never left my property,” according to Davis.

We then spoke with Major Eric Flowers with the Indian River County Sheriff’s Office.

“Our deputies parked planning to walk down the road and search for a wanted person. As they got out, a pit bull aggressively approached them. They tried to retreat but couldn’t so one of them fired,” Flowers told Sebastian Daily.

The dog ran away and hasn’t been found since, but the dog owner believes the deputies took the pit bull.

Pit Bull shot in Gifford. (Photo: Caitlin Davis)
Pit Bull shot in Gifford. (Photo: Caitlin Davis)

“I believe the cops found the dog and took it in that white van and didn’t tell us,” Davis said.

However, Flowers said the dog ran away and to his knowledge has yet to be located.

“Neighbors report that the owner of the pit bull regularly has the dog out without a leash and that the dog is very aggressive,” according to Flowers.

Flowers said their patrol section is reviewing the incident, and more details will be available on Monday.

Exit mobile version