SRHS Celebrates Senior Night & Class of ’96 Time Capsule Opening

Sebastian RIver High School Time Capsule (Credit: Ron Gehrke)

On Thursday night, the Sebastian River High School celebrated with Senior Night and the Class of ’96 Time Capsule Opening & Rededication Ceremony in the school’s courtyard.

During the Senior Night portion of the evening, the graduating Class of 2021 was honored for different academic achievements in various subjects. Some academies gave out the best girl and best boy awards, and Athletic Director Jessica Upchurch presented Athletic Achievement Awards.

Class of ’96 Time Capsule Opening & Rededication Ceremony

Shortly after Senior Night concluded, the “Class of ’96” Time Capsule Opening & Rededication Ceremony began. Principal Christopher Cummings got things started with opening ceremonies and introductions. 

Those in Attendance

Credit: Milo Thornton
Credit: Milo Thornton
Credit Milo Thornton
Credit: Ron Gehrke
Credit Milo Thornton

During the welcoming, the speakers included Superintendent David K. Moore, Ed.D., SRHS Founding Principal Dr. Frances Adam, and Susan Adams & Dennis Miller, both Class of 96′ Senior Class Presidents.

Next, the school’s Founding Athletic Director, Michael Stutzke, spoke about the historical perspective of the time capsule and thanked everyone who helped make the event possible.

After opening up the time capsule, the contents were spread out onto tables. Then the graduating class of 96′ had an opportunity to go through the items and reminisce about their senior year

The time capsule included trophies, a basketball, a soccer ball, school letters, hats, videos, tapes, shoes signed by students, a yearbook, lots of pictures, programs, cleats, bumper stickers, and much more. 

Did anything during the time capsule ceremony bring back memories? How was it seeing all of your former classmates?

I asked Class of 96′ Alumni Milo Thornton, Did anything during the time capsule ceremony bring back memories? 

“Yes, I recalled standing there with my classmates when they placed our things into the capsule,” Thornton told Sebastian Daily.

“It was amazing to see my classmates. Many of them that couldn’t make it texted and called,” he added.

Sebastian River High opened in 1994. However, the first graduating class was not until 1996. Their senior class song was “One Sweet Day” by Mariah Carrey. 

Exit mobile version