Michael Evanchik’s Drumming Journey from Big Stage to the Sebastian Music Scene

Michael Evanchik plays drums for the Swamp Dawg Band in Sebastian, Florida.

Michael Evanchik, a professional drummer, is a member of a local band known as Swamp Dawg. The band has played at various venues in the area, including Earl’s Hideaway Lounge, Pareidolia Brewing Company, and events held at Riverview Park in Sebastian.

Evanchik’s musical journey began at age 8 when he first picked up a pair of drumsticks. 

“I played at elementary and high school dances, and we won the Battle of the Bands in high school,” Evanchik told Sebastian Daily.

In the early 1970s, during the early stages of his music journey, Evanchik played with Meat Loaf before the iconic artist achieved fame. By 1974, he became a part of RPM, a band that played original music and toured extensively throughout the northeastern United States, including the music scene of New York City. 

“Back in the day, I worked two jobs and played out four nights a week. Clubs in Long Island didn’t quit till 4 a.m.,” he said.

RPM had the opportunity to open for renowned acts like “Yes,” “Humble Pie,” and “David Johansson.” The band also recorded their music at Electric Lady Studios, a renowned recording facility commissioned by rock icon Jimi Hendrix.

In 2005, Evanchik embarked on a new chapter in his musical journey by joining The HooDoo Blues Band. Their exceptional talent earned them victory in the Northeast Blues Challenge, leading them to Memphis, Tennessee.

“From there on, I never stopped playing drums. I did numerous studio sessions with other musicians, and I played in numerous bands playing local clubs throughout the northeast, all while maintaining a job driving a truck. I retired in 2017 in Connecticut and moved to Sebastian, Florida,” Evanchik recounted.

Upon settling in Sebastian, Evanchik began his search for a new musical endeavor. He attended open jam sessions in the area to get a feel for the local music scene. During this exploration, he crossed paths with fellow musicians Walter “Gator” Milden, Jack “Bubba” Childs, and George Nawak. Together, they formed the Swamp Dawg Band.

“Out of all the bands I played with all of my life, these guys are the most fun I played with. No drama. We have a blast playing together. At 71 years old now, I don’t see an end in playing the drums,” he shared.

Evanchik emphasized that his motivation to continue playing drums is not driven by monetary gain but rather a deep-seated passion for the music.

The Swamp Dawg Band delivers a diverse musical repertoire, spanning Motown classics to iconic rock hits by ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, The Allman Bros Band, Marshall Tucker Band, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

You can watch Michael Evanchik as he performs with the Swamp Dawg Band at the Sebastian Inlet State Park Concert Series on December 16, 2023, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. This event is also known as “Night Sounds Concerts” and open to the public.

Here’s a few photos of Michael Evanchik playing drums over the years.

Michael Evanchik
Michael Evanchik
Michael Evanchik
Michael Evanchik playing drums with Swamp Dawg Band
Michael Evanchik
Exit mobile version