Michael Lang, Woodstock Promoter, Dies at 77

Michael Lang

Michael Lang

The sun rose this morning without my old friend, Michael Lang in this world. Michael passed away Saturday night having fought cancer for a while. He was 77. 

Michael will probably be remembered as one of the co-producers of the 1969 Woodstock Festival. But he was the one that nurtured the continuing legacy.

Michael & I had talked often regarding the anniversaries as they came and went. He was generous, kind, and honest in all his dealings with me. We weren’t close friends but I think we had a mutual respect for each other that didn’t demand closeness. 

The last time we met face to face was 2009 over a dinner in Woodstock, NY his home town. And the last time we spoke together was the phone calls in 2019 regarding the 50th anniversary of the 1969 event.

It is not the last time I will remember him fondly. Interviewers from around the world are still calling, asking about Woodstock and they will continue. Like the festival itself, Michael Lang is now the stuff of legends. 

I hope Michael’s family, his wife and children, get through this time with much grace knowing the thoughts and memories of his friends now go directly to them.

Arlo Guthrie
Sebastian, Florida

Exit mobile version