Letters: Sebastian River High Shark Mom Football Camp

Sebastian River High Shark Mom Football Camp

This week, we received a Letter to the Editor about the Shark Mom Football Camp at the Sebastian River High School. You can also submit your letters to info@sebastiandaily.com.

Football Camp

I have always been told that if you want to know how someone else feels, walk a mile in their shoes. We did just that last Saturday at the Sebastian River High Shark Mom Football Camp.

It was an amazing experience put together by the coaches, and it gave us moms an opportunity to experience hands-on what their sons go through at practice. I promise I will not be so quick to tell my son to toughen up again when he comes home or wakes up sore after practice. I consider myself in pretty good shape and work out 3 or 4 days a week, but my body was paying the price the two days following the camp. I am not sure if I have ever been so sore in my life, but it was worth it.

Before the event, we were divided into Team Blue (Defensive Moms) and Team Silver (Offensive Moms). We started our day by learning some of the plays, which will be beneficial come game time. I was raised with two older brothers in a football home, and I was a cheerleader, so thankfully, I already knew most of the rules and terminology. Still, the coaches did a great job putting it into layman’s terms so anyone could understand.

Then we transitioned into the weight room without air conditioning and did circuit training for about an hour. The players cheered us along, spotted us, and critiqued our form.

Sebastian River High Shark Mom Football Camp

After, we were taken to the locker room and had the opportunity to try on the football gear. This was an experience all in itself, which included lots of laughter, we honestly had no idea it was so hard to put on and take off the shoulder pads with jerseys. What a team effort it took to accomplish this task, one mom pulling and the other one pushing. Then we were brought to the practice field where we were able to participate in agility drills and some friendly competition between moms. Just to name a few, we ran sprints, pushed the sled across the field, ran knee highs, had a quarterback net challenge and a game of good old tug of war.

Lastly, we were presented with our letters of commitment certificates, took pictures with the coaches, and treated to a catered lunch. What an incredible day it was allowing us to bond with other moms while also learning about the game and how hard these boys work! I am already mentally preparing for next year’s camp. Thank you to all the coaches for all you do!

Amy Speak
Sebastian

Exit mobile version