Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar Not Seeking Fourth Term

Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar

Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar

SEBASTIAN – Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar announced Monday that he is not seeking a fourth term. Major Eric Flowers is set to file his candidacy for the next sheriff.

“Earlier this year, I celebrated 30 years as a law enforcement professional. After careful consideration, I have decided that I will not seek re-election for a fourth term. I am proud of my career that spans twenty years with the Florida Highway Patrol and what will be twelve years here at the Indian River County Sheriff’s Office,” Loar said in a statement.

Loar took over the agency through one of the worst economic downturns in decades and has been part of some innovative advancements in the criminal justice field.

“The implementation of Mental Health Court will undoubtedly continue to address some of the major issues facing law enforcement today. The advancement of our accredited status to include our recent Excelsior Award from the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation stands to complement our unique quadruple crown accreditation designation. Our state of the art Forensic Services Unit has developed into and been routinely recognized as one of the best crime scene teams in the state. The addition of a Homeland Security Section reinforces our dedication to the local efforts in the war on terrorism. Finally, our status as a premier law enforcement agency is further solidified by the advances in our corrections component to include recognition by the Florida Model Jail Standards and the Florida Corrections Accreditation Commission,” said Loar.

“In more than three decades of law enforcement, I have had the pleasure of serving the citizens of Florida, working with amazing individuals, and leading some of the most talented professionals in public safety. I am confident in the leadership team we have developed during my tenure. In fact, today, Major Eric Flowers will file his candidacy and I am wholeheartedly endorsing him to be the next Sheriff of Indian River County,” Loar added.

In January of 2021, at the age of 53, Loar will close this chapter of his life after 32 years in law enforcement.

“I plan to take my experience and passion into a new phase of my career and will work diligently to ensure the next generation of leaders at the Indian River County Sheriff’s Office are prepared for what lies ahead,” Loar said.

Exit mobile version