How to Cope with Isolation & Depression During the Coronavirus Pandemic

How to cope with isolation and depression during COVID-19.

How to cope with isolation and depression during COVID-19.

Most Sebastian residences are doing a great job of isolating. Unfortunately, this can lead to depression.

Here are seven tips for coping with social isolation, and the depression that can come with it.

1. Eat healthy, well-balanced meals. A healthy diet affects brain health by increasing good gut bacteria, raising serotonin levels, boosting brain development, and changing brain enzymes and proteins to increase neural transmitters.
  2. Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. Yes, I know Sebastian is a drinking village with a fishing problem. But, this is not permanent. So, for now, do your best to limit your intake.
  3. Exercise regularly! Of course, all gyms are closed at this time, but that doesn’t mean you can’t stay active. Now, I’m not encouraging you to head to Riverview Park, where everyone in town has been walking & bike riding. At this time, it is probably best to walk, jog, run, and ride your bike in your neighborhood, where it is less congested.
  4. Stay connected with your friends and family members. Let them know when you are having a bad day. I guarantee you they are going through the same feeling as you. Use them as a support system!
  5. Avoid too much excess news. Take breaks from watching news stories. You already know we are going through this Pandemic. Watching the news continually is only going to depress you further.
  6. Do not believe everything you see on FaceBook. See if it is from a reliable news source before you share it. Spreading rumors will only heighten stress for everyone.
  7. Last but not least, seek professional help when needed. If you feel distressed for several days or weeks, please reach out to a counselor, clergy member, doctor, or call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration helpline at 1-800-985-5990.

Take a deep breath; you are not alone. We are all in this together; remember this is not permanent.

Exit mobile version