SEBASTIAN – Indian River County officials tell Sebastian Daily that Red Tide conditions have caused Round Island Beach Park to be closed once again as of Monday morning.
Red Tide has caused all other beaches from the Sebastian Inlet to south Vero Beach to remain closed until further notice.
Indian River and Brevard are the worst hit counties in Florida with Red Tide at this time.
As previously reported, small amounts of Red Tide was found in the Indian River Lagoon last Wednesday. Sebastian Daily has been closely monitoring the Lagoon and has found no dead fish or sea life. All evidence of Red Tide continues to be found on the beachside of Sebastian and Vero Beach.
The Department of Health encourages all people to follow these recommendations:
- People, especially those with respiratory issues, are encouraged to stay away from the beaches if possible for the next 2-10 days. Persons may experience throat irritation and/or coughing if directly exposed to Red Tide.
- Higher wind or tides can spread Red Tide more quickly.
- Dead fish are not to be eaten! Be cautious with any fish caught from the southeastern coast of Florida.
- Do not consume shellfish of any kind caught in this area until the Red Tide passes.
- The Indian River County Emergency Information Center will be taking your questions from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. today. They can be reached at (772) 226-4000.
Red Tide beach cleanup is continuing at areas near the Sebastian Inlet and Vero Beach. The cleanup will continue until further notice.
“The County’s marine debris removal contractor initiated debris removal on Saturday 10/20/2018 from Tracking Station Beach Park. The contractor anticipates being able to clean approximately 3 miles of beach per day. This will be a rolling operation Monday – Saturday,” Indian River County officials said.
Sebastian Daily will be observing the beaches and the Lagoon today and bringing you another update.
Signup for the free Sebastian Daily newsletter for your chance to win free dinners and merchandise!
Copyright 2018 SebastianDaily.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.