Goodwill Sebastian Store Evacuated for Carbon Monoxide

The Goodwill store in Sebastian was evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected.
The Goodwill store in Sebastian was evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected. (Photo: Andy Hodges)

SEBASTIAN, Florida – The Indian River County Sheriff’s received a call Saturday morning from the Goodwill Sebastian store about a toxic odor that smelled like an exhaust from a gasoline engine.

At 9:27 a.m., Goodwill employees and customers were evacuated from the building. Part of the plaza was also shut down during the incident.

“The fire department evacuated the building due to a heavy odor of carbon monoxide. It appears workers on the roof had a generator running,” Major Eric Flowers told Sebastian Daily.

While at the store, the fire department noticed workers on the roof running a generator.

The toxic odors and carbon monoxide was entering the Goodwill Store through vents from the roof.

The source of the problem was resolved and the store was reopened by 11:00 a.m.

There were no injuries during this incident.

Subscribe to our Sebastian Newsletter to find out what's going on around Indian River County.

Copyright 2018 SebastianDaily.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

mm
About Andy Hodges
Andy Hodges began his career in the field of radio and TV broadcasting where he worked for about a decade. The Jupiter, Florida resident then pursued computers and eventually worked as a Senior Systems Analyst/Engineer in the Information Technology sector in Atlanta, Georgia. He returned to Florida and made Sebastian his home in 2002. Andy is also a restaurant critic throughout the county.
About Us | Contact Us | Privacy | Terms | Advertising